Childhood & Education
Born on 10th July 1951 in a farmer’s family at village Babhora, Tehasil Chakia, District Varansi (now district Chanduli) Uttar Pradesh, to Shri Rambadan Singh and Srimati Gujarati Devi.
He received his basic education in the village and subsequently he completed his MSc Physics from Gorakhapur University UP. He worked as a lecturer of Physics at K.B. Post-Graduate College Mirzapur, UP.
Public & Social Life
- He was a brilliant student and an active RSS worker since his student life.
1969 to 1971
- Organizational secretary of ABVP Gorakhpur division from 1969 to 1971.
- He became the RSS karyavah (General Secretary) of Mirzapur city in 1972.
- He entered politics in 1974 and soon became Secretary of Bharatiya Jana Sangh, Mirzaur.
- He became District President of Jana Sangh and District Coordinator of JP Movement.
- He was elected as an MLA in UP Assembly.
1983 to 1988
- He became a State Secretary of UP BJP and 1984 he became a State President of BJP’s Youth Wing (BJYM). In 1986, he became National General Secretary of BJYM and subsequently National President of BJYM in 1988.
1988 to 1991
- He was elected MLC for UP Legislative Council in 1988 and became Education Minister in 1991. During his tenure as Education Minister in UP he established some landmarks by introducing the Anti-Copying Act and Vedic Mathematics in the syllabus and correction of various portions of history textbooks.
- He became a member of the Rajya Sabha in 1994 and also the Chief Whip of the BJP in Rajya Sabha.
- On March 25, 1997, he became State President of UP BJP. During this period apart from expanding and strengthening the organisation, He played a key role in saving the BJP led Government twice during the political crisis.
- On November 22, 1999, he became Union Surface Transport Minister. During this period he got the opportunity to initiate the NHDP (National Highway Development Programme), a dream project of Prime Minister Shri Atal Bihari Vajpayee.
2000 to 2002
- On October 28, 2000, He became Chief Minister of UP and was twice elected as MLA from Haidargarh constituency in Barabanki. In 2002, He became National General Secretary of BJP.
- On May 24, 2003, he became Union Minister of Agriculture and subsequently for Food Processing. During this period he initiated a few epoch making projects like Kisan Call Centre and Farm Income Insurance Scheme.
- As BJP President he covered the entire length and breadth of the country. He also embarked on Bharat Suraksha Yatra which covered several States taking up the cause of increasing terrorist activities and threats to internal security. He laid emphasis on issues of public interest like spiralling prices of essential commodities, farmers grievances and cynical minorityism practised by the UPA Government.He has also written a book on Unemployment its Reasons and Remedies, When he was National President BJYM.
- In July 2004, He was again appointed as National General Secretary of BJP. As a General Secretary he held the charge of two states of Chhattisgarh and Jharkhand, and ensured BJP’s victory in both the states, by his exemplary organizational ability.
2005 to 2009
- He became the BJP National President on December 31, 2005, A post he held till December 19, 2009. In May 2009, He was elected MP from Ghaziabad in Uttar Pradesh.
- In May 2014, he was elected MP from Lucknow in Uttar Pradesh.
- On May 26, 2014 Shri Rajnath Singh took oath as the Union Minister of India. Since then he is actively working as the Union Minister for Home Affairs.